Cradle Song

Sleep, sleep, beauty bright,
Dreaming in the joys of night;
Sleep, sleep; in thy sleep
Little sorrows sit and weep.

Sweet babe, in thy face
Soft desires I can trace,
Secret joys and secret smiles,
Little pretty infant wiles.

As thy softest limbs I feel,
Smiles as of the morning steal
O'er thy cheek, and o'er thy breast
Where thy little heart doth rest.

O the cunning wiles that creep
In thy little heart asleep!
When thy little heart doth wake,
Then the dreadful night shall break.

William Blake

Kreativ

Friday, 9 March 2012


My great bloggy friend Kelly, from Unplanned Trip to Holland, has kindly tagged me with the Kreativ blogger award under the assumption that I will deliver something "amazing".

So no pressure then.

**runs away screaming**

Ahem.

Anyway, since:

Kelly's description = Gold!

I'll just cut and paste it below:

"I have to post 10 things about myself that you may not know. Given my chronic diarrhea of the mouth, I am going to really have to wrack my brain to think of that number of things that I already have not shared!"

I'm feeling this is going to be a tough one too!!  Dammit!  I wish I still had the veil of secrecy an anonymous blog holds!!  You guys would have had a much more interesting read.

**Discreetly peeks out from behind the excuse**


Meh.

Better do the best I can with what's left...

Turning Back Time
 
1.  We took The Don to Mexico to visit my family when he was just a couple of months old.  It was December 2007 and he was our first baby.  Since he'd mostly had his head covered here in the UK (because it was so cold), I guess I'd never noticed that little babies' heads pulsate: it's a normal thing.  I spent that entire vacation panicking that he was dehydrating and on the verge of death.  I called our doctor in the UK a gazillion times, took him to the doctor in Mexico as well and generally did the freaking out that only a new mother can do.  **sigh**

2.  While I was pregnant with The Don (and dealing with a "minor" case of hyperemesis gravidarum), I watched *a lot* of movies.  I had the Bubs recommending all kinds of movies to me.  He made me watch the eight Aliens/Predator movies and a whole bunch of zombie flicks I'd never watched as part of my "film education"  **lol**.  While I've always loved (or have been unable to look away from) horror movies since I was tiny, (I used to hide behind the couch and watch them "with" my brother when my parents were out and he thought I was sleeping), I never saw much of zombie movies.  Now they're one of my favorite kinds and I *love* The Walking Dead.

3.  I met both of my little brothers on the day they were born (I was 21 and 24 when they were born) and the elder one (C3PO) used to call me "mama" for a few months when he first started to talk.  They're coming to visit for a couple of weeks at the end of March, I'm *really* excited.

4.  I went to college when I was in my early twenties.  I wanted to finish college as soon as possible because I had a really important reason to go back to Mexico, so I was enrolled at two colleges at the same time.  For a while, I was taking more credits than you would be ordinarily be allowed (something stupid like 24).  I was pushed to the limit and could not afford to lose any extra credits for attendance or stuff like that.  I *had* to be super conscientious and stay on top of *everything*.  I went to this big Halloween party one of the first years I was there.  Being a highly disorganized person at heart, I somehow managed to forget that while it may have been Halloween, we still had classes the next day - there was no holiday and it wasn't the weekend!  I finally remembered this important fact right at the end of the party when I was thinking I would go home and crash.  Instead, I realized I had just about enough time to go home, scrub off all the costume paint, shower and make it in time for my first class.  That was a long and painful day. 

5.  There was a period of time during my rebellious "misspent" youth when I moved away from my family (keeping in touch by phone or emails) and ended up homeless for a couple weeks in Cancun.  No worries, it was beautiful weather and we slept out under the stars, stuffing our wallets and other valuables in our shoes and using the shoes as pillows.  (Yes there was one time that I got woken up by someone disturbing my shoes, I woke up my friend who chased this guy until we got all our belongings back, but that's another story).  We met a really nice guy on the beach and it turned out he was a cook for one of the big hotels.  He would sneak in at night and make us the most obscenely big cheeseburgers I had ever seen.  You literally could not fit the whole thing in your mouth to take a bite.  We gnawed on those bad boys!  We hung out a lot with the cook.  His name was Gabriel.  I was always struck by how fitting that name was.  I come from a multi-faith family and am not religious, but I know about an angel Gabriel, and Gabriel was like a jolly angel himself.  He passed away within a year of our living there.  It was really sad.  One of those "what if?" moments.

6.  During the same period of time described in #5, I applied for a job as a hostess at a really famous restaurant/bar (similar to Fat Tuesday).  The interviews were all really relaxed, I went in during their (slow) opening hours and talked to the manager.  I thought I had gotten lucky because most places wouldn't hire you without a permanent address of some kind, at least a phone number, and I didn't have those.  The manager seemed really nice and let me order whatever drink I wanted for free during the interview while I talked a bit about myself and let him know about the languages I spoke (since it was a touristy place).  When he asked me back for a second interview, I thought "great!  I have a job!"  Unfortunately during the second interview he started making a pass at me.  I declined as politely as possible because I had to meet my friend nearby at a certain time (since we were just sleeping out in the open, it was so we wouldn't lose each other, Cancun is a big place when you're on foot).  As I left that restaurant, I felt this really bizarre feeling wash over me.  I remembered how bitter the banana daiquiri had tasted.  How stupid I had been to shrug it off and mix it together properly to make the taste go away.  That sorry little SOB had spiked my drink!!  I managed to keep it together till I got to a secluded spot by the beach and then started puking my guts out.  Fortunately whatever it was that they put in my drink didn't affect me too badly, and I was able to walk away and meet up with my friend.  Lesson learned though. 

7.  When I was in my late teens, I got lost in the jungle at night for about 11 hours.  There was a beach party at Tres Rios.  The entry from the highway is at least a couple of kilometers from the actual beach.  The tickets to the party?  Expensive.  So my friend and I joined forces with another group of people looking to get into the party a different way, and we all decided to cut through the jungle.  I still don't know whose brilliant plan it was, or why I agreed to it, cause I remember thinking it wasn't such a great idea.  We walked for *hours*.  Most of the night.  We stopped a tiny bit to burn whatever leaflets or flyers the group had in a bid to make a fire, with smoke that would stop the biggest goddamn mosquitoes I have *ever* seen from attacking us.  In swarms.  We started feeling pretty hopeless and dejected a few hours after sunrise when we were still stuck in the jungle.  It didn't help matters that we realized we were just going round in circles after we passed the same broken cactus we had seen a few hours earlier.  We finally bumped into some "explorers" (don't ask, Crocodile Dundee types who were physically hacking their way through the jungle for the fun of it) at around 8 am.  We joined the party stinking of swamp at around 9 am.  We took off our gross clothes (beach party, remember?  We had bikinis/swim trunks  on underneath) and tied a sarong on.  My friend had *so* many mosquito bites, you couldn't actually see each individual bite, it was just a massive rash on his back.

8.  You already know that I'm half Mexican and I moved around a lot.  As you can tell from this list, the one constant in my life was Mexico City and its surrounding areas.  My brother and I usually spent about two months there during summer each year while we were young.  We swam a lot.  When I was about six years old and we were living in the States and my mom enrolled me into some swimming classes close to where we lived.  At the end of the class I had to take a stupid "swim test" (swim ten lengths of the pool without touching the side or stopping) so I could use the swimming pool unaccompanied.  I thought this was really stupid since a. I already knew how to swim, and b. I would never be allowed to go to the pool without at least my brother.  I was *really* angry about having to swim the ten laps.  I got about three quarters of the way down that ninth lap when I deliberately swam to the side and stopped.  It took me about two decades to convince my family I actually did that on purpose to make a point, and that I was not, in fact, a "quitter".

9.  Around the same time as #8 (maybe I was a bit older), I got too sick to go to school one time.  Since both of my parents worked, it was decided that I would stay home alone.  My dad was really worried about me keeping warm so I wouldn't get sicker and told me to stay in bed reading books (I was a real bookworm), but that if I was to move around the house, that I should shut the doors behind me to keep the heat in.  I was looking out of the window from my bedroom, when I saw a rabbit in our garden!!  Without missing a beat, I ran out the front door, (still in my pajamas), carefully, shut the door behind me and ran around the house to get a closer look at the bunny.  The bunny had already left by that time so I walked, disappointed, back to the house. I tried to open the front door again, but it was locked tight.  I had to go to our neighbor's house and spent the rest of the day sleeping on her couch till my parents could pick me up.  I got all kinds of teased for my little spurt as Alice in Stupid-Land.

10.  I used to still suck my thumb a lot when I was about was about three years old.  This was a habit my parents *really* wanted to break, but couldn't.  I remember one day at the breakfast table, my brother (six years older than me) leaned in and showed me this huge scrape in his finger (probably sustained during one of his BMX stunts) and said "don't suck your thumb.  I did and look what happened."

I never sucked my thumb again.




So.  I'm supposed to spread the love to 6 other blogs. 

Tom from Aspie Adventures because I recently discovered him through the #SNRyanGosling meme and love his blog!

'Au'somemomma from My Life with My "Au"some Son for the same reason as above.

Jeannette from Autism Mumma because she's been wonderful and supportive on twitter and I'd like to know more about her.

Þorgerður from Sturlungi because I love the way she writes.

Jim from Jim's Autism Blog because I've recently discovered his blog and enjoy reading it.

Floortime Lite Mama because her blog is heartfelt and touching.

7 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama Says:
10 March 2012 at 04:46

OMG I LOVED your list
How many amazing things have you done - lost in jungles, roof free in Cancun
Will absolutely do this in a few days
Thank you for the kind compliment

Marsupial Mama Says:
10 March 2012 at 14:23

Haha, thank you!! It turned out to be a *lot* more long-winded than I had intended! Meh, story of my life, I always go round the long way!! **lol**

Lizbeth Says:
10 March 2012 at 16:02

Did you see this last episode of the Walking Dead??? I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it but OMG, it was good...and a bit sad. I won't say any more.

And spiking drinks? Gawd, that is just wrong. I'm thinking its a good thing we lived far apart in our 20's. I shudder to think on the possibilities....

Marsupial Mama Says:
10 March 2012 at 20:33

We'll always be behind the US in terms of TV. Even if it's just a couple of days. Thanks for not giving it away!!

**lol** It would have been cool to hang out in our twenties!! >_<

Þorgerður Says:
14 March 2012 at 16:46

:) I will get around to this eventually.
Loved your adventures.

Kelly Says:
23 March 2012 at 10:15

Your ten things were AWESOME! I knew you had an unconventional, wild, amazing life, but Jeebus...you do rock! Thanks for letting me live vicariously. :)

Marsupial Mama Says:
23 March 2012 at 13:21

**yay** Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Post a Comment

Comments are like frosted cupcakes: they fill me with Happy!

The Clod and the Pebble

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay,
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only Self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a hell in heaven's despite."

William Blake
 
Real Time Analytics