Cradle Song

Sleep, sleep, beauty bright,
Dreaming in the joys of night;
Sleep, sleep; in thy sleep
Little sorrows sit and weep.

Sweet babe, in thy face
Soft desires I can trace,
Secret joys and secret smiles,
Little pretty infant wiles.

As thy softest limbs I feel,
Smiles as of the morning steal
O'er thy cheek, and o'er thy breast
Where thy little heart doth rest.

O the cunning wiles that creep
In thy little heart asleep!
When thy little heart doth wake,
Then the dreadful night shall break.

William Blake

Yaocihuatl

Saturday, 25 February 2012
Yaocihuatl is a Nahuatl word for a woman warrior.  The Nahuatl language was spoken in Mesoamerica since at least the 7th century CE and the language is still alive today.  The words tomato, chocolate and avocado come from the Nahuatl tomatl, xocolatl and ahuacatl.

The Aztecs believed in various levels of heaven, the highest of which could only be attained if you died the glorious death of a warrior (or that of a sacrificial offering).  They believed it was the way you died that dictated which heaven you would ultimately go to.  Women who died in childbirth were considered Yaocihuatl and automatically got into the highest heaven, since they had died giving birth to a potential warrior.

Little Betty earned her stripes as my little Yaocihuatl today:


The Bubs went out with the kids and my mother to go house hunting while I stayed home and studied.  I was expecting them to be out for a long time, but a short time later I heard the door slam and my mother had come back with The Don.  She didn't really make sense to me at the time, but she did say that Betty was hurt and the Bubs was "pulling in" any moment.

I quickly put my shoes on, went outside and horror of horrors, I saw an ambulance pull up on our street!

My heart dropped to my feet, my hands got shaky and I broke out in cold sweat.  I kept thinking that couldn't be them, that it couldn't be for us and my mind went..  Oh, a million places a second.

The ambulance lady stepped out, took one look at my face and immediately started comforting me saying "it's not so bad, it's not so bad".  The Bubs stepped out with Betty just a limp rag in his arms, but as soon as she saw me, she perked up and reached out for me to hold her.

She snuggled straight into my neck, like she was trying to block the whole world out.  I got into the ambulance with her, and we made our way through traffic to the hospital.  The cut was small, but really deep.  I knew she was okay though, cause once she was on my lap, she kept making eyes at the ambulance lady, initiating "peek-a-boo" games and giggling her little head off.

I'm not so sure about the Bubs though..  He looked deathly pale through the whole thing, the poor guy turned a greeny-grey shade.

Being his ever-loving and supporting wife, I teased him the whole way through. 

The nurses glued Betty back together (I still can't help giggling about that.  Apparently it's common practice and really good for the kids, but I'd never heard of it and kept having images of little super glue tubes **lol**) and gave her a few butterfly stitches.  We kept her under observation for a while and once we were sure she was okay, we took her to bed for a late bedtime...

My little Yaocihuatl




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like frosted cupcakes: they fill me with Happy!

The Clod and the Pebble

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay,
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only Self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a hell in heaven's despite."

William Blake
 
Real Time Analytics