Cradle Song

Sleep, sleep, beauty bright,
Dreaming in the joys of night;
Sleep, sleep; in thy sleep
Little sorrows sit and weep.

Sweet babe, in thy face
Soft desires I can trace,
Secret joys and secret smiles,
Little pretty infant wiles.

As thy softest limbs I feel,
Smiles as of the morning steal
O'er thy cheek, and o'er thy breast
Where thy little heart doth rest.

O the cunning wiles that creep
In thy little heart asleep!
When thy little heart doth wake,
Then the dreadful night shall break.

William Blake

Dr Sunil Pullaperuma: Part II

Tuesday, 14 February 2012


I just had the mother of all meltdowns.  I don't think I've ever lost my shit quite like today.  We're talking psychotic-break-bad.



And to be fair, the freaking doctor was just the trigger.  There's only so much pressure you can take.  Only so much fear, so much angst, so much worry, frustration and rage...  Did  I mention fear?

Yes, I fear for my son's life.  For what his future brings.  What will happen to him?  What will happen to him when I'm not around to lose. my. shit. to protect him?  Our brief dabble in the state education system didn't help to allay my fears.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  Back to the title of this post.

I called the Great Ormond Street Hospital to find out exactly what procedure Dr Sunil Pullaperuma (and I use the term "doctor" loosely) had referred my son for and they told me "a standard EEG".

Excuse me?

I had a hard time hearing that since (as I said in my first "Dr. Sunil Pullaperuma" post), I had set up the EEG privately to avoid all the red tape and multiple visits an EEG set up by the NHS would have entailed.  At the time of that call I was too angry to think about asking any questions other than how to make a formal complaint about said "doctor" Sunil Pullaperuma.

I then tried to get in touch with Dr Sunil Pullaperuma through his mobile, but it went straight to the receptionist at The Child and Family Practice.  She was very kind and understanding of my anger at having been lied to about the EEG we had been given, especially in light of the fact that I had explicitly explained to Dr Sunil Pullaperuma that I was going to him as a *private* patient so my son could just have a single, detailed EEG and be done with it.

The main reason for my unwillingness to have unnecessary hospital visits was due to the traumatic experience my son had already been put through at a different hospital.  I had given all this history to Dr Sunil Pullaperuma and he told me that a three hour EEG would be enough to give us the results we needed and assured me that a second EEG would not be needed after that.  Instead (as I already mentioned in that first post about him) what we got was a one hour EEG where my son did not show a single symptom.

Bottom line:  Dr. Sunil Pullaperuma cost me nearly a month's worth of therapy for my son, and caused my son to undergo another traumatic event (only heightening his fear of hospitals) NEEDLESSLY.  (Parents living in the London area, be warned).




After calling The Child and Family Practice, I also called The Portland Hospital, another hospital where Dr. Sunil Pullaperuma (yes, I am trying to see how many times I can fit his full name into this post) works privately, and told them my story.  They just told me to write them a formal letter of complaint.  Which has to be snail mailed.  Helpful.

So after a whole day of barely hanging onto my sanity by a thread, I called the Great Ormond Street hospital again asking exactly how long a "standard EEG" is.  They said it depended.  ????

I pressed them, surely the very word "standard" implies that it does not, in fact, depend.  They immediately became very hostile and said that they don't do "standard" EEGs.  They're either "awake" or "asleep"  EEGs.  I told her my son had an "asleep" EEG, so how long does an "asleep" EEG usually take?  She told me that my son's had taken an hour (thanks for answering the question) and then referred me to the NHS Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS).

PALS (I know, ironic acronym) is the only recourse people have to turn to if they have a problem with NHS.  I have called them before and they have either a. not returned phone calls or b. been extremely unhelpful.  Nevertheless, I called them about this issue last Wednesday.  Am still waiting for my call to be returned.

Fun times.

This was inspired by Extreme Parenthood's "Hey Girl" series




2 comments:

Anonymous Says:
14 February 2012 20:27

Sorry to hear about the meltdown; it happpens to the niftiest. Suggestion: keep your cool. Maybe one day "Dr" Sunil Pullaperuma will ask you for a reference letter!!! Or maybe the famous "Dr" and PALS will be sucked into a black hole by the NHS reforms. Frankly, I do not understand all the reluctance to reform a system where the NHS bureaucrats have transformed 'health care' into 'health scare'.

Marsupial Mama Says:
14 February 2012 20:37

HA!!! I love it!! "Health care into health scare". So true my friend, so true...

Post a Comment

Comments are like frosted cupcakes: they fill me with Happy!

The Clod and the Pebble

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay,
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only Self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a hell in heaven's despite."

William Blake
 
Real Time Analytics