Cradle Song

Sleep, sleep, beauty bright,
Dreaming in the joys of night;
Sleep, sleep; in thy sleep
Little sorrows sit and weep.

Sweet babe, in thy face
Soft desires I can trace,
Secret joys and secret smiles,
Little pretty infant wiles.

As thy softest limbs I feel,
Smiles as of the morning steal
O'er thy cheek, and o'er thy breast
Where thy little heart doth rest.

O the cunning wiles that creep
In thy little heart asleep!
When thy little heart doth wake,
Then the dreadful night shall break.

William Blake

Eating Success

Sunday, 18 December 2011
I haven't been writing much in this blog recently.  Things have become complicated and I'm still trying to feel my way forward.

Truth is, I've been lost in thought for some time, mulling over recent events.  I haven't felt comfortable writing about anything of substance because of an overwhelming feeling of paranoia.  People I've spoken to have told me not to worry about it and keep writing anyway, but in the three weeks since we've been back from Mexico, I've managed to squeeze out four posts, only one of which had original material.  I've always been quite gullible, it's a trait difficult to eradicate.  I guess sometimes I over compensate by being too distrustful.  I know it's silly, my paranoia with this whole thing with the council. I can't help it. It gives me the heebie jeebies... 


I'd tried to come to the computer to at least talk about funny stuff that had happened before, but honestly, for the first time in 15 years I've found myself avoiding the internet altogether.  I've been in a kind of daze these past three weeks since we've been back.  I think big changes are coming.  But enough of that.  I probably won't mention some stuff for a while.  

In the meantime, please enjoy:  RERUNS!! (Or old stuff that has happened, that I haven't had a chance to write about yet)


Anyway, I've mentioned before somewhere about The Don's food aversions.  It's actually something that has been haunting me since he was about 9 months old.  That's when we first started having problems, he'd go through cycles when he'd eat fine, and other times when he would refuse to eat anything at all.  I didn't get much advice other than keep trying, keep offering a variety of things (I even got the "take the food away after 20 minutes of not eating and try again at the next meal until he eats, he won't let himself starve").

Needless to say nothing worked and by two years old, the situation had become quite desperate.  By the age of four he'd gone for almost two years without a single vegetable passing his lips!!  I went to the doctor's one time, really upset about his lack of eating and one of the health visitors there told me "he's just never going to eat normally, you should just accept it".  I remember feeling outraged when she said that, who the hell was she to write off my son when he still a chubby little toddler??  

But the only fruit he ate were bananas, grapes and sometimes apples, and other than that it was pizza (without too many toppings, he eats it upside down, and sometimes just picks the bread part underneath and leaves the topping), pasta (with barely any sauce or he won't touch it), fish fingers and pretty much any carb.  He went through a stage of eating nuggets, but that was short lived.  Fortunately he'd sometimes eat cheese and loves eggs and yogurt.  He also very occasionally eats meats, but that depends on a lot of things.  He could just as easily not touch it.

I've tried to get help for him, have talked to doctors and health care professionals, they've tried to refer me to people to help, apparently there's a food clinic where they deal with these types of disorders but we weren't eligible because I can't remember what BS reason.  This thing has been ongoing.

Then, a while a ago (before we went on the trip), The Don starts coming up to us demanding "watermelon".  (???)  So we went and bought him some. The kid was happy as can be scarfing down his watermelon.  This continued for some days, and I just found it curious that he randomly decided one day that he would eat watermelon.  I was watching him play with his iTouch a day or so later, and saw that he'd been watching this new set of video nursery rhymes I had downloaded from iTunes.  One of the songs is a nursery rhyme I wasn't too familiar with: Down by the Bay


As an extension of his new found love of watermelons, he also now eats honey dew and cantaloupes! (Since they're also called melons). During our Mexico trip ('exotica' fruit is really expensive in London) I tried to get him to eat "pineapple-melon", "papaya-melon" and "mango-melon", but he didn't go for it.  It was pretty disappointing since I'd hoped to be able to move onto "broccoli-melon" and stuff like that, but baby steps, right?

Anyhow, we got him watching Bugs Bunny and guess what?


The kid loves carrots.  Not if they're cooked or cut up in any way, of course, he eats them just like Bugs Bunny eats them.  Raw and with the end stalk on the end.  Heaven help you if you try to peel or cut up that carrot in any way.  No, that carrot just about gets away with a quick scrubbing or it does not pass the inspection.

So, we've bought him the box set of Astrix and Obelix for Christmas and are hoping it won't be too much of a struggle to get him to watch it.  

 
He tends to gravitate towards the same known DVDs/shows/movies and getting him to watch something new can be a struggle and a half.  At his most inflexible he watched only Lady and the Tramp for months straight.  

I also got him a couple of anime movies in the hopes that he'll watch them and that the ones I chose feature yummy looking home cooked food! 


I used to watch a lot of anime and a lot of them had characters that loved food, were always hungry and would cry little tears of joy when they were presented with their favorite meal/snack.  


Even if the anime I have now don't quite have have a big enough food theme going, I'm pretty confident I can find something suitable for him pretty soon.

Visual learner, much?

6 comments:

Þorgerður Says:
18 December 2011 at 10:02

We have been using video modeling with success... perhaps you could make short clips of kids he knows and likes eating new things with gusto. Having a good time meanwhile. We use the ipad for videomodeling but a phone works just as well.

AutismWonderland Says:
18 December 2011 at 14:07

So sorry to hear you're going through a rough time. {HUGS} We all have our moments, but it will pass.

Trying to get our kids to eat new things is tough. I usually just introduce new things with old favorites. And cross my fingers.

MarsupialMama Says:
18 December 2011 at 17:49

@ Þorgerður, thank you!! That's a really good idea! I could even get family members that live far away to email short clips!! Great tip, thanks!

@AW, thank you! {Hugs!} Things are mostly okay right now except for "administrative" stuff. **lol** It's just annoying this new dimension has been added to things, and on top of everything else it almost makes me feel like I'm not free to express myself! You're right, though. It won't go on too long. Hopefully. **lol**

Lizbeth Says:
19 December 2011 at 01:57

This is one thing that I constantly worry about---the wrong people, or people I don't want, finding my blog. Gawd, I hope you can discuss things freely soon. Or at minimum you can resolve things with the school administrators without too much more angst...hugs in the meantime. Big fat internet hugs.

Karen V. Says:
19 December 2011 at 03:49

Carrots and watermelon, yay!!! I have some success with yogurt but truly I'm in the same boat with you. Guess what? Our EIBT (ABA) tutors are re-starting the "new foods" program that got no where last time (they bumped it for something else- I think potty training...?) We are currently eating no meat at all, one vitamin that gets spit out a half our later - bananas, Doritos, chocolate, and cookies. Occasionally, he will eat a taco or burger -That's about it. So, don't feel alone. And - I miss you!!

MarsupialMama Says:
19 December 2011 at 09:13

@Lizbeth, I know what you mean. And to be honest, I've only really thinly veiled our identities. Hopefully it won't be for long though.... Thanks for the internet love :) **hugs back**

@Karen, yeah, we had a problem with vitamins too. During one of his yogurt phases, we were able to sneak liquid vitamins into that, then we managed to get him easting gummy bear vitamins and he loves those. He still eats yogurt now, but we don't have to sneak the liquid vitamins in with them anymore. That's so cute little T eats tacos!! Mine will just eat the tortilla. He *loves* those. I jokingly tell my husband not to worry too much because tortillas are a superfood. (They kind of are though).

Post a Comment

Comments are like frosted cupcakes: they fill me with Happy!

The Clod and the Pebble

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay,
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only Self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a hell in heaven's despite."

William Blake
 
Real Time Analytics